Saturday, January 5, 2019

Happy New Year 2019


First a little review.  We had a nice visit with my daughters family.  The time went quickly and they are now safely back in their home in NY.  Kaylee had to work tonight and so they left a day earlier than first planned.  Here are a few pictures from the visit.  Sadly I did not take a lot of pictures.  This is Bailey she is a mature Grand Dog and like me likes to take naps.  She likes her bed and I think she thinks of it as her den.

We also have a young Grand Dog Millie she is normally on the move, and wants to be where the action is.

So far Bailey and Millie are not buddies hopefully someday.

Bailey is pretty good with her treats and usually eats them in her bed, which keeps the mess there.  She does really enjoy them.  She worked on this hip joint for three days or more.

Easy clean up as the mess stays in one spot.

Kaylee likes to be busy, while the others were out shopping UPS brought a package for her.  It was a cat tree that she ordered from Amazon.  She laid it all out first then put it together from the picture mostly.

It was not long before we had a tree.

Most of our mornings were leisurely, doesn't everyone have to check their email?

Sunday came quickly and we were all ready to leave for church early, we filled up a whole row.  Once again a great service and sermon.  After church they wanted to be on the road in twenty minutes.  They were well organized but it took a little bit longer.

All loaded up.

The trailer was a good idea as last year they had to leave some stuff.  They pulled out after hugs and goodbyes.  A quick stop over at my sons house and they headed north.  They stopped about 8 last night and were back on the road this morning and got home around 1:45.  Kaylee had to work and got there around 3.  She works at a nursing home and they moved her around to several assignments today as of course they were short of staff, being New Years Eve.

Bonnie worked on the laundry today, towels and some sheets.  I had done some vacuuming yesterday.    Then we put up her new mirror and jewelry cabinet.

and finally hung a couple pictures.  Bonnie made these when the kids were young.

Well thats about it for 2018.  My son and family are in Mississippi and so we are having a quiet evening and finished off some leftovers.

Happy New Years may God Bess you in 2019.


Did not do too much today.  It was overcast all day but I don't think it rained.  We watched most of the rose parade after we got up.  We made it to midnight last night.  Funny story.  I turned the TV on about 11:40 to get ready to watch the ball drop in Times Square.  After watching a few minutes I realized it had already happened, oh well.  We tuned in the New Orleans celebrations and watched that.

I watched parts of several of the bowl games.  But mostly when TV was on it was movies.  I also closed out the spreadsheets I use to track expenses and set up the new ones for the coming year.

Finally I set out the recycle bin and a box of cardboard that Dana cut up and packed neatly in a box.  I left the top open so they could see it was cut up cardboard.


You may have guessed they did not take the cardboard in the box, guess it has to be in the blue container.  Their loss they are a private's company and make money off what they collect.  As it has been raining off and on all day the cardboard was wet.  We had a lot of trash this week but I managed to get half of the cardboard crammed in on top of the trash.

Bonnie continued to do the wash today and we put nice clean sheets on our bed.  We have enjoyed the peace and quiet but we do miss everyone.  Most are back to work or finishing up the last few days of their vacation.


A little rain today but it stayed overcast all day.  I got the meat grinder attachment out for the Kitchen-Aid mixer today.  We had some left over ham and I ground it up and made some ham salad, one of my favorites.  I meant to take pictures but I guess I got in to much of a hurry and forgot.  After grinding I added salad dressing and relish.  Then I washed the grinder and put the mixer away.  Finally time for a delicious ham salad sandwich, pure enjoyment.

My son and family were out hiking today and sent a couple pictures.

Looks like fun.

Our churches mens group was asked to step in and pickup the food for the local House of Harvest which provides food for needy families so I am headed up to help with that.  There were 5 of us that showed up to help unload so even though it was a larger than normal load it went quickly.  I was back home in about an hour.  Plus I got to call and talk to my favorite sister on the way home.  Then a nice long FT with GD Kaylee.

Now the rain is back.


Bonnie went shopping today and once she got home I helped repackage the meat and vacuum pack it for in the freezer.  She also got a standing rib roast that I seasoned and wrapped for the night and we will smoke it tomorrow for a few hours.  Hopefully we get the sun that they have forecast for tomorrow.  Then the grandkids and Millie came over for the evening.  Millie does like to play fetch.

And the girls like their phones.

We also got in a couple games of UNO after a delicious supper of goulash.  Their parents picked them up and they all headed home around 9:30 saying they were going to go to a movie.


Bonnie got up at 6:30 this morning and headed up to the House of Harvest to help distribute food to the needy.  She got home around 9 and said it was a good experience.  When I got up I took the Rib roast out of the refrigerator to let it rest on the counter.  Then had my breakfast and morning routine.

I got busy just before 11 and set up and fired up the pellet grill.  Then a while later I put the roast in a pan and on to the smoker.

I started out at low smoke which is around 170º.  After about 90 minutes it looked like this.

It was coming along nicely.  After about 4 hours I turned up the temperature to 375, the meat was around 100.  My security camera said there was motion on the back deck.  Well it turned out to be all the smoke coming out of the smoker.  We had us a grease fire.  The camera alerted me pretty quickly and a big glass of water put out the flames.  The meat was fine.  The only damage was to the paint on the smoker as it bubbled up in a small area from the heat.  Totally my fault.  I have only been smoking meat lately "low and slow" so the grease built up instead of running out or burning away a little at a time.

No more flare ups and the meat was soon at 130º

I let it get to 140º as Bonnie likes it "done".  Then I pulled it, tented it and let it rest for about 30 minutes.  While it rested I took the time to clean out the hardened grease and vacuum the fly ash from the pellets.

Time to slice it up.

Well it was done nicely and we plated it up with some candied sweet potatoes and green beans.

Bonnie enjoyed it and it was nice and tender.  I am not that big a beef eater but thought it was pretty good.

We cleaned up the kitchen and I vacuum sealed the leftovers for later in the week.  Then it was time for a shower and finally around 8 I sat down to write this and relax.  Bonnie is calling it an early night and has headed off to bed.

Well thats a wrap for this week.

Thanks For Checking In!

"Some people try to turn back their odometers, not me, I want people 
to know why I look this way, and some of the roads weren't paved"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select Name/URL
Type your name and leave the URL blank unless you have a blog or webpage.