Sunday, July 22, 2012

Eastbound and down--Mouse #8 caught


Caught mouse number 8 this morning in the wet bay.  We packed up and pulled out of West Yellowstone this morning at around 9:30.  The drive across the park went well except for 2 minor critter jams.  The good news was that we did get to see a couple herds of buffalo and one nice bull.  We had not seen herds on the other days.

Nice bull

First herd

Second herd
It was 45 in West Yellowstone this morning and 6 hours later when we pulled into Thermopolis, WY it was 104, what a change.  The A/C is on for the first time in days.  The way it looks it will be more of the same as we head East.  Tomorrow we will explore the town and visit the hot springs.  We went out for supper tonight and visited a local place 12 miles up the road in Kirby, WY called Butch's.  It was good and we all got our belly's full.

We had a safe trip today with just one drawer opening on a sharp curve that I took a little faster than I wanted to, it jumped the track but I was able to fix it.  Time for bed I am tired tonight, the trip down for the top of the continental divide must have stressed me today.


Bonnie and I slept in till about 8:30 this morning it was nice and cool with the AC on and the fan blocked out all the noise.  Mom and Dad were up and sitting outside when I got up and Bonnie got up a while later.
After breakfast the 3 of them went shopping and were gone a few hours till lunch time.  It gave me time to catch up on a few things and just relax.

Bonnie fixed pork chops for lunch and then we decided to go to the state park and soak in the mineral springs.  It was free to soak for 20 minutes in the 104 degree water.  Then we walked out to the swinging bridge and some of us crossed over to the other side.

The hot water is cooled in this pool to mix with the hot water

We soaked in the covered out side pool

Boardwalk thru the springs toward the bridge

Bridge over the Bigfoot River first built in 1916

Dad made it part way

Bonnie finishing the crossing

View from the middle of the bridge
The weather was ok today, it was overcast so only got into the 80's, luckily the humidity is low here.

After that we headed to the County museum.  What a surprise, it was fantastic.  They have so much stuff and it is all displayed nicely.

County owned and operated

An original switchboard that was used here in town

There was an annex with all kinds of equipment like this road grader
There was coal mining equipment, a caboose, and oil drilling and pumping equipment.  Out front they had a nice memorial to veterans.

One of my shipmates
 Butch Cassidy and the Hole in the Wall gang used to come to town and often drank at this bar that was in a local Saloon.  The bar was made in Ireland originally.  The bar was eventually renamed the Hole-In-The-Wall.  The hole in the wall hangout is not far from here but you need a Jeep to get to it or a horse.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid drank at this bar

It was cool to lean on the bar at the same spot as the Hole in the wall gang did.
After that we headed back to the campground and each did our own things.  We also got a chance to visit with some of our neighbors.

Well off to bed now as we are moving to Nebraska tomorrow.


Today was a long moving day.  We left Thermopolis and drove US highway 26 to Scottsbluff, NE.  Got here around 4:30pm.  We are staying in the city campground behind the Zoo, should be interesting.  We are here two nights.  When I pulled out my iPhone it was dead again.  I could not revive it this time.  Bonnie and I went to the Verizon Store but all they can do is order a new one to be sent to me.  It would not get here until Tuesday so will have to figure out where we will be on Tuesday.  A storm blew through at dinner time but missed us to the north just a little wind and a few drops of rain.  Everyone has gone off to bed so I guess I will join them.


We were all up fairly early today for a Sunday morning.  Bonnie had pointed out a church yesterday and we headed for the 10:45 Worship Service at Bethel Baptist Church.  It was a smaller church but seem to really have a lot going on.  They had just finished up VBS and the kids put on a short program.  The message by Pastor Dallas Powell was good.  He is into technology and his message outline is online at  I use you version and the church had WiFi so I could scan the QR code printed in the bulletin and follow the outline on Bonnie's iPhone.  Mine is still broke and I will wait till I get closer to home to order a new one.

Pastor Powell
After church we went back to the coach for a quick lunch and filled up the water bottles.  Then we headed to the zoo.  The zoo was city owned and they let it run down pretty bad.  A private organization has bought it and it is starting to shape up but has a long way to go.  They have put in a splash pad for the kids and most seem to go there for that.  We did spend a couple hours there in the heat and enjoyed seeing all the animals.

A good looking zebra

Playful maricats

Sleepy Tiger
They it was a relatively short ride to the Scotts Bluff National Monument

This natural pass in the bluff is where several of the trails heading west converged and continued.  The oregon tail is well known and the pony express used this all so.

This is approximately where the trail was.  In places you can still see the ruts.
They had a nice display of wagons some with a person explaining things.  We were able to drive up on the bluff

Nice view from up on top.

In 1933 this survey marker was even with the ground.  Wind and rain have eroded a lot of rock

Bonnie noticed my favorite chair was ripped.  I sent an email to the company
We were then off to Super WalMart for some resupply of the pantry.  One back home I broke out the grill again and we had grilled chicken, potato salad, and strawberry shortcake for dessert.  Everyone is tired again and heading to bed early tonight.  The folks are pretty much wore out and not to interested in seeing to much more.  So not sure what else we will do on the way home.  Tomorrow we head for Henderson, NE, then Davenport Iowa on Tuesday, and hope to be in Shipshewana, IN on Wednesday for a couple days.

Thanks for checking in.