Friday, February 18, 2011

Moving a Bookcase

Saturday
Plans for today are to move a bookcase.  Woke up to 4 inches of new snow and since then 2 more have fallen.  I have cleaned out the driveway while another 1/2 inch fell.  Seems to have slacked up now but looks like the Lake is sending us more.  The wheels are in motion so I guess we will carry on.
The sun came out as we left for Warsaw and we had nice weather to bring the bookcase home.  It was a tight fit getting up the stars but we made it.  While in Warsaw we stopped at he nursing home so Bill my nephew could see his grandma and I ran by tractor supply still trying to find a belt for the snow blower.  As soon as we got the bookcase in I changed and headed into Elizabeths to put some more salt and calcium chloride filled bags on the roof to melt ice since she has leaks again.  Bill decided to follow me in since it was on his way home.  He was a big help and we were done in half an hour.
So I headed home finished cleaning the driveway and blowing the snow off the deck.  Now it is time to go racing.  The NASCAR season kicks off with the Bud Shootout tonight.  Thats about it for today.

Sunday
Just 1 inch of new snow overnight (season total equals 130).  But the good news is that the temperature is already 28.  We dressed and headed for church.  By the time we got home we were in the low 30's and things were melting pretty good.  I left the truck outside and pulled out the tractor to melt off.  We watched the Daytona 500 time trials and Bonnie is happy that Jeff Gordon is on the front row.  We reached 40 degrees today and now at 6:30pm and well after dark it is still 40.  There was not much sun today or we would have had a faster melt.  Slow is good as there is a lot of snow, as long as it is melting I am happy.  The forecast is for a warm week with Tuesday being a little cold.  So I am looking forward to a good week.  We talked to Elizabeth today and her leaks have stopped again, lets hope it is done for good.  I finished my Tom Clancy book yesterday so am down to just one book at a time again.

Monday
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!
Well it stayed warm and snowless overnight, it was still 39 when I got up this morning.  Hopefully it will be a good day to catch up on podcasts and some reading.  Around 10:30am little balls of ice are falling from the sky and the temperature dropped to 35.  I believe the forecast is for a cold night and day tomorrow then a warmup again.
This happened on one of the local farms, we know the owner he is a nice guy and runs a good operation.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/109358/13/Barn-Collapse-Injures-Five-Cows
I am glad the melting should take a lot of weight off the roofs.

Tuesday
Today was a pretty routine day.  While it was in the teens the sun was out bright all day long.  I made a run to the post office and the bank for court, stopped in and caught up on paperwork.  Yesterday with the sleet we have a lot of ice around that is slow to melt.  With the promise of warmer weather I am letting the sun do the work.
After an afternoon of reading, we headed to Tony Rome's for our Valentines dinner since I had court last night.  We had a good meal and enjoyed the time together.

Wednesday
Not as sunny today but it is above freezing.  I am glad we are getting a thaw and hopefully all the snow will melt off the roofs in the next couple of days.  I had lunch today with a former co-worker and had a great time catching up.  First time I looked at my watch it was 3 hours after we had met and time to go.  Hopefully we can get together again.
It stayed warm all day but not much sun.  The area now has flood warnings posted so it is good that the melting is relatively slow.  I did notice that some of the small creeks are starting to flow including the one that flows under our driveway.  The snow is also starting to slide off our metal roof so I knocked some of that down to take some of the weight off the gutters.

Snow starting to slide off the roof

The creek is starting to flow
The driveway is a sheet of ice today


Thursday
It stayed warm, 40 degrees, all night long, so the melt off continues.  When I got up this morning it was raining, not hard but steady.  That should speed up the melt off, time will tell if the flood prone areas end up in trouble.  I remember when I was young hearing the basement sump pump run almost constantly in the spring time.  Here we do not have a pump as we are on the side of the hill and the water around the foundation drains naturally.
Not too much planned today, catching up on podcasts, and I hope to review my tax return and make sure it is ready to send off to the IRS.  Then this afternoon the Gatoraide Duel races from Daytona are on.
When I went out to get the mail there was a big puddle of water in front of the basement door.
A puddle has never been here before

It should be dry there.  Further investigation found that the drain pipe had broke apart underneath the deck.  I changed and did crawl in under there to see what I could do.  Looks like the pipe joints on the corrigated pipe are not made to be leak proof.  I did get all hooked back together but the joints still leak some, so I will look at replacing the pipe with drain pipe with glued up joints.  It is to be warm tomorrow so I will add that to my list of things to do.

Water is pouring out the joint at the back end of this drain pipe.  These joints do not seal.


Friday
I have some pictures to add today.
I got up this morning and Bonnie is still in bed.  She came home not feeling well yesterday and went right to bed.  This morning she is still not well and called in sick.  That does not happen very often.
I read my email and then got dressed to head out and pick up the pipe, glue, elbows, and straps I need to fix the leaking down spout drain.  I headed over to Attica and picked up what I needed, even had 2 Ace Rewards cards and saved 10 bucks.  Once home I put on my old clothes and climbed into the mud, it was like climbing into a bowl of very cold oatmeal.  Everything went pretty smoothly and about 20 or 30 minutes an I was done for the day.  I have a little more to do to make it the way I want it but the mud needs to dry out first.
The white drain pipe has sealed joints so all the water is now going down the drain like it is supposed to.
I was covered in mud by the time I finished.  I set my coat and pants out in the sun to dry so I could brush off the mud.

Muddy Coat
I took a nice hot shower and headed up to court to catch up on paperwork.  Now I am home trying to wash my dirty, dirty clothes.

The warm weather has the snow melting pretty fast, it is far from gone but a lot is gone.  I think it is still at least a foot thick on the back roof of the house.  The creeks are running much faster that the other day.


This is the same shot I took Wednesday of the creek that goes under the driveway
This is from this morning

This is this afternoon
Is been a busy day here and Bonnie is finally up and watching a little TV so I think she is feeling better.
I efiled my tax returns the other day and got word today that both were accepted.  
The propane truck came today and that is always  welcome site her in the winter time.

Filling the propane tank
Most of the ice is gone

Well thats about it for this week.  It is to cool down a lot tonight so the snow and water thats left will freeze up again.  Hopefully the really cold weather is done for the season but its only the middle of February.

Thanks for checking in and have a good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. interesting. It's going to be 70 here tomorrow. Keep that cold weather up dare.

    ReplyDelete

Select Name/URL
Type your name and leave the URL blank unless you have a blog or webpage.