Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week end camping at Red Rock Ponds

Great sleeping weather last night, I slept good and was up before 8.  I read my email and blogs and then headed out to take care of a few things.

First on the list was to clean up where I think the mouse was getting in.  Yes Emily caught the mouse again in the living room yesterday and of course let it go to play with it and it got away.  So I have set a trap but I wanted to clean up what looked like a nest in the basement.  So I got out the shop vac.

Shop Vac lots of suction
 There was quite a gap around where the electric service conduit came into the house so I stuffed it with steel wool from the inside.  I had sealed the outside with RTV last week.  Then I used the Shop Vac to clean up all the seeds and dropping I could find, in the area.

Lots of spots to build a nest, I stuffed all the openings in the rim joist.
Then I headed out to the coach to check out the location of the relay that supplies the 12V power to the coach.  Many refer to it as the salesman switch.  It turns off all the lights inside the coach and other non essential power,  I also verified that it does not turn off the refrigerator.  Some people bypass this relay because it usually decides not to work at the worst possible times.  I carry a heavy duty jumper just in case I would have to fix ours while out on the road.

This is the fuse box in whats called the front run bay underneath the drivers seat area

The big relay is in the bottom center

The label aux start relay is a bit confusing as that relay is in the battery compartment in the rear.
I took some readings with my meter and figured out what I would have to rearrange to put the jumper on and figure I can do it when it becomes necessary.

Next project was to get a couple buckets of dirt and fix what the heavy rains had washed away near the garage.  Then I picked up the bigger rocks and branches that had washed down out of the ravine.

Quite a bit of water is still running in the yard

Here are a few of the rocks

One of the bigger ones

The start of a new deeper ravine if not taken care of.
 After that clean up I filled in a couple places with the tractor and then moved the new mulch pile back about 12 feet and piled it a little higher.  It was blocking my rake and trailer so now I can get them hooked to the tractor.
Moved and piled higher
It was way past lunch so I came in showered and had some lunch  Hope to do a little reading now.


Up bright and early.  Busy day ahead.  I had my oatmeal and read my email.  Next I printed and filled out the form you need to transport firewood.  Then headed up to court to make sure I was set for Monday night.  Then home and will have lunch and last minute packing of the MH.  Hope to be on the road to Red Rock Ponds by 1:30, checkin starts at 2pm.

I pulled out of the driveway at 1:25pm and into Red Rock Ponds 43 miles later at 2:30.  Checkin was quick and we are on the same site as last year.  There is a newer park model seasonal set up next to us.  I took my time setting up and got the coach nice and level.

All nice and level
I sat outside to read and ended up talking to Jon.  He makes custom sun screens for RVs and was finishing up the new park model.  It looks sharp.  I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Looks sharp with the skirting

Annie the neighbor showed up and I talked to her a bit, she is a vehicle mechanic for the City of Rochester.  Jon finished his work and left.  He would like to take his business on the road and full time, he also owns a bakery in Holley.  I went back to reading and finished up Stephen Kings 11/22/63.  It took me a while but it was a good read.

The girls showed up with subs for supper.

The boss arrived bearing gifts.
We sat out for quite a while but decided no fire tonight, as we wanted to watch Nik Wallenda walk the wire across Niagara Falls later.  Its getting pretty chilly so guess we will head in soon.

He made it!


It was a good night for sleeping but Bonnie had a book she could not put down and read till at least 2am.  But that’s ok we slept in till almost 9am.  Had a leisurely breakfast and relaxed a while.  I got a a shower and then we decided to head into Holley and explore the town.  This campground is next to the Erie Canal and we crossed several of the old bridges as we weaved our way to town.  Jon the RV person I talked to yesterday is also a baker and owns a pastry shop.  We spotted it and stopped in.  

Nice little cafe
Fantastic Cinnamon Twist
We each enjoyed something special and some good coffee or lemonade type drinks.  We sat out front at the sidewalk tables and enjoyed people watching.  

Public Square, downtown Holley, NY
Jon came out and he and I talked RV stuff while the Ladies explored the stores and walked over to the small farm market.  Soon the phone rang and they were ready to be picked up.

On the way back we checked out Hickory Ridge campground and also went back and stopped at a garage sale for Bonnie to look around at.  Once back at the CG it was lunch time and we had some of the Chicken salad Elizabeth had made using the smoked chicken I had done last week.  It was very good.

I am enjoying sitting out under the awning and reading my kindle and drafting this.  

Can you tell she has a week to work Big Smile!
Bonnie was out also and read for a while but has gone in to nap.  Alexus is inside in the air conditioning also.  Elizabeth went to take a shower at the shower house.  It’s a bit hot 82 in the shade much hotter in the sun.  Next thing on the agenda is nachos for supper and the some campground bingo later.

We played a hot game of yahtzee and they let me win for fathers day.  Bonnie got a bit of a nap.   Supper was nachos and cheese as planned which we enjoyed in the cool of the air conditioned coach, roughing it aren’t we.

Roll those dice!

We headed up to join the campground for a few games of BINGO.

The campground owner was the caller, he did a good job

10 games played on a sheet of 6 cards
 I took a picture of the beach while we waited for the games to start, it was a beautiful weekend.

BINGO!  I won one game along with another man so we had to split the prize.
It had started to cool down by the time we headed back to the coach.  I started a fire and we all sat our for an hour or so and enjoyed the fire and waited for Bonnies new solar Japanese lanterns to come on.  

We ha a nice little fire
 Nothing like good cold sweet watermelon around the fire.

Good melon
 I tried to capture a picture of the solar lanterns Bonnie bought at Ikea.

New lanterns
When they did they looked real nice.  I also gave a call to my sister as it was her anniversary.  Somehow my computer had failed to remind me.  Perhaps because we are not online?
Once in for the night I tried to put the pans away from supper and the drawer came apart.  I had some screws to fix it so broke out the tools.

Drawer repair at 10pm

It was another good night for sleeping nice and cool.  We slept in until after 8 and now getting ready to head up to the clubhouse for my free pancake breakfast where Dads Eat for Free. 
I got a nice card and a Best Grandpa T-Shirt from the girls, guess I will change shirts before we leave.

Waiting inline for our pancakes and sausage

The cooks did a good job

The line got long while we were eating
 We were able to get seconds and we all had all we wanted to eat.  Alexus finally talked her mother into taking out a paddle boat so we went down to watch them.

Safely into the boat

Lots of paddling to get around the lake

Making a circuit of the lake
They made a circuit of the whole lake and saw the turtle they were hoping to see.  They also spotted a log sticking out of the water that looked like a Gator (too much Swamp People).

Back to the coach and Bonnie and Alexus went back into Holley to pickup strawberries to make jam.  I read and finished a book while Elizabeth watched TV.

I started preparing to leave a little after 11 and was just finishing up when Bonnie got back.  We pulled out after noon and were home and unloaded by 1:30.  The girls went home to do wash but are supposed to be back for supper and a campfire.  Bonnie is making jam.  I threw the towels in the washer and am watching a little TV.

Bonnie finished up made some supper and we called her dad for Fathers day.  Tomorrow she starts her last week of work.

The girls never called or came back out, so no campfire, I'm disappointed.

Thanks for Checking In