Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Aging of America--I'm Doing My Part

Thursday

Today I am officially old, the big 65.  I received my Medicare card in the mail a while back but today it is effective.  My expensive health insurance is now my "secondary insurance".  I started the day by getting up early and was at the dentists by 8am, just a cleaning and checkup.  Oh I do have a follow-up appointment for a filling.

We had another couple of inches of snow overnight but the roads were clear and the sun was out so it was a beautiful morning.  Once home I did a little shoveling and caught up on my email.  After a few minutes of relaxing I headed out to clear off the deck and then out to jump on the tractor and clear the driveway again.

Its been a good birthday so far lots of birthday wishes on FB and email, some cards in the mail, and Bonnie got me some home lights that we can control from our phones through the internet, so that will be fun.  We have an appointment later with our financial manager and then I believe we will be eating out.

We asked the girls to go to dinner with us and so Elizabeth is going to meet us at the Elma Towne Grill after our meeting.  Its snowing a little again but I do not think we will get much.  Dinner turned out to be good.

My birthday meal
I had the Shrimp and Scallops, cole slaw, pasta salad, and fries. Finally home about 1/2 inch of new snow.  We have a wind chill warning for tonight and it was windy when we came home.  Good news my sister got her power back after 33 hours.

Its been a good birthday and I have heard from a lot of family and friends the highlights of my day.

Friday

Cold and sunny today.  Had a slow start this morning and we just caught up on email and blogs.

Then this afternoon we got started on the taxes for real this time.  Spent most of the time getting Bonnie's expenses for her Thirty-One business figured out and documented.

Relaxing and watching a little TV this evening.  Maybe even some of the Olympics.  Only time I went out today was to get the mail, I did a little shoveling to get some exercise.  Another cold night as its down to 7 already.

Saturday

Sunny again and the US won its first Gold Medal at the Olympics today.  Well after breakfast I headed up to court for a couple hours and then back home.  Catnapped in the recliner most of the afternoon.  Then I headed in and worked on the taxes.  Now I will let them alone for a while and then go over them again before I send them in.

Not much on TV except the Olympics so I guess we will watch them or go to bed early.  No snow today but its in the forecast for tonight.

Sunday

Up and at it.  Getting ready to head to church just as it starts to snow.  Then to lunch which my Grand daughter is preparing.

Church was great as always and the kids are getting ready for the annual pine wood derby.

Some of the previous years cars
 Some the cars show a lot of creativity and craftsmanship.  After church we headed for a friends to pick up a suitcase for Alexus, then we headed for the farmers market where we ran into Bonnie's parents.  Finally to Elizabeth's house for my birthday lunch, which turned into dinner being as it was later in the day.  So Elizabeth made some good soup for lunch.

One of Elizabeth's friends came over and we all had a nice visit.  Then I started a fire and Alexus started to work on dinner.
Taking a break while the cake bakes
So we had a very nice Cheeseburger Salad for dinner.  Then for dessert we had home made angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream.

Time to head home and I had to scrape ice off the car windows and the roads were snow covered.  We had light snow all day and it looks like its between 2 and 3 inches.  Now a little TV and then off to bed.

Thanks For Checking In!

"If Your Dreams Don't Scare You, They Are Just Not Big Enough"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select Name/URL
Type your name and leave the URL blank unless you have a blog or webpage.