Sunday, November 23, 2014

SNOVEMBER More of the Same

Thursday

Apparently it snowed all night and now the lake effect engine is wide open.  We have at least and probably more than 12 inches on the back deck.  Boy is it snowing and they say it may snow all day.  I woke Bonnie at 10:30 and told her I was going out to work on the driveway.

Headed for the garage
I started the tractor and got to work.  The snow was like glue again and stuck and iced up in the blower chute about every 100 feet.  On and off the the tractor to clean it out.

Constantly plugging up
The snow is also getting deep on the roofs.

Early this morning
I gave up on blowing for a while and pushed as much as I could with the blower off.  That worked pretty good but is really starting to pile up and I can not push it back any further.  Once the snow is moved the driveway turns to ice and then I have no traction.

It snowed 6 inches while I was out working
After two hours I was soaked as the snow melted on me and soaked everything I had on.  Still lots to do outside but I am headed in to get warm.  Bonnie made me some hot soup and we watched some recorded TV.

Bonnie had made apple sauce and we got ready and canned it this afternoon.

Six more quarts for this winter's enjoyment
The snow is still coming down hard and continues to pile up.  Hopefully it will end tonight and then start to melt.

Our next project will be to clear this.
Was hoping to work on the deck but its snowing too hard, so it will have to wait.  I could not get warm so I took a nice hot shower, nice and toasty now.

Elizabeth sent over a picture of Alexus clearing out the snow from in front of the windows, they also get some wind in where they are.

Keeping the windows clear
I am on a snow break until tomorrow I hope.  The lake effect should be gone and we can clean up then, tonight we will rest.  Finally stopped snowing around 10pm.  Lots more snow to move tomorrow.

Friday

So a quick measurement showed that there was 33 inches of snow on the deck this morning.  After breakfast I got ready and went out to clear snow.  Bonnie got dressed and went out to shovel the deck.  She did the hard part and got the deck opened up so that we could work on it later.

Bonnie got the deck opened up
It took me a couple hours but I got the driveway cleared again.  I did have to dig out the blower chute a lot again but also managed to go long stretches without it plugging.  Lots of snow out by the road and the mail box is about buried.  I talked to the Post Office and they have not received any mail in 4 days.  UPS also has a package of mine that was to be delivered on Wednesday.

Our mailbox is almost buried

This pile is about 7 feet tall

Tried to clean out the mailbox

Finally finished the driveway
 You can see here that the snow was much higher than the blower, the drift cutters did a really good job.
Actually kind of Pretty
Finally got to head into the house and get warm again.  I did learn that the finger id does not work on the iPhone when you hands are cold and wet.  The girls called and wanted pizza and wings.  Bonnie had thawed chili and I was having a bowl of that for lunch, so I declined.  But they said they would come and help me finish clearing the back deck.

The girls came and went right to work.  I showed them where to start and got dressed to go out and help with the snow blowing.

Getting Started 12:57
 Once we got enough room we were able to chop down the high sides of the snow and use the blower to do the heavy work of moving the snow off the deck.

OJT on snowblower operation
We worked well together and in no time at all we were done.  34 minutes later we were done.

The Dream Team-Snow Moving Experts
Well 4PM and its snowing again, but they say it will not last long.  The Thruway opened again so thats good news.  Still lots of travel bands West of here.  We plan to leave for Canada around noon so hopefully we will be able to make it.

I need a nap.

Saturday

So we only got 2 more inches of snow last night.  I plan to let mother nature take care of it.  With the threat of Lake Effect snow over we packed up and headed for Collingwood, Canada.  Yep not enough snow and cold here so we are headed further North.

The highways were open and after a quick stop to pick up a Rx we headed for the Peace Bridge.  No backups today in fact we were the only ones at customs when we pulled up.  A few quick questions and we were on our way.  No lake effect here in fact very little snow at all.  We had an uneventful drive just lots of traffic.  Once we got North of Toronto we stopped for lunch.


Bonnie had fish and chips and I had the roast beef sandwich.
The sandwich was good but for some reason one of my crowns fell off.  I thought it was a bone at first but did not swallow it.  So a trip to the dentist is planned when we get home.

Good Sandwich
 We had a week of time share that was about to expire so are using it.  Our thoughts are with our friends back home and pray that the snow will melt but not too fast so the flooding does not occur.

This is ski county in Ontario but Blue Mountain is not open yet.  There is some snow here but just not enough.  Shopping is interesting here since all the measurements are metric and milk comes in plastic bags.  I had to google it to see how to use it.

The condo is almost new and is very nice.  Elizabeth and Alexus are coming up to join us for Thanksgiving.  So we should have a great time.

Nice big TV 
The view out the door is of the distant ski slopes.  Well time for some shut eye.

Sunday

We slept like rocks and did not get up very early.  So far we have not left the Condo today.  Neither of us is feeling all that great.  We tried to keep up with what is going on at home.  The Buffalo TV stations are on the cable here so we can watch whats going on.

I did get a picture of the ski slopes in the distance, they do not have enough snow to open yet.

Blue Mountain
Well we have continued to just chill out today.  I did watch a live webinar, and we both took naps.  Maybe we will go out for dinner.

Meanwhile back home.

Clearing the stadium
They are trying to clear the stadium for next weeks game.

Keep the Buffalo area in your Prayers.

Thanks For Checking In!

"The Business of Life is the acquisition of memories!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select Name/URL
Type your name and leave the URL blank unless you have a blog or webpage.